This is a brief overview of construction operations and traffic impacts for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work, temporary ramp and street closures, and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the center lane. Local traffic headed to Chelsea must be in the right lane to access the Beacon Street off-ramp. After Beacon Street, the next opportunity to exit Route 1 Northbound will be at Webster Avenue. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m. – 10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m. – 5 a.m.).
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the right lane at the Carter Street off-ramp. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m. – 10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m. – 5 a.m.).
- Ramps: The Fourth Street off-ramp will remain closed for 2-3 months. Overnight on 9/8 after the last MBTA bus, the Beacon Street off-ramp will be closed until 5 a.m.
- Local Streets: Orange Street under Route 1 will close overnights (7 p.m.–6 a.m.), 9/15 – 9/20. Carter Street lanes will be shifted to allow for a workzone on the westbound side starting 9/9. Traffic will remain two-way and police details will be used to guide travelers.
Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.–7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
Summary of Work Completed
In the two weeks prior to September 8, crews continued work on the bridge deck, repaired and erected steel, waterproofed bridge deck, installed dust containment systems, power washed and excavated support column footings, and placed concrete columns.
Description of Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Set up fencing and dust screens. Bridge deck removal and repairs will continue on the right side of the workzone through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: Painting of new deflector plates.
- Underneath Route 1: Replace and paint steel; continue installation of dust containment systems; power wash and paint columns and support beams; excavate, drill, and grout around support columns; erect steel; and place new concrete columns.