This is a brief overview of construction operations and traffic impacts for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work, temporary ramp and street closures, and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
Route 1 Traffic Impacts
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.).
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the left lane before the Carter Street off-ramp. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.).
Local Street Closures
These closures are necessary to create a safe workzone for necessary bridge work.
- Spruce Street: Spruce Street under Route 1 will be closed overnight (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) from Friday, 2/14 to Saturday, 2/15 and overnight (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) Tuesday, 2/18 to Wednesday, 2/19. Signed detours and police details will guide drivers and pedestrians safely around the work zone via Arlington Street.
Fifth Street: Fifth Street under Route 1 will be closed overnight (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) from Tuesday, 2/18 to Wednesday, 2/19. Signed detours and police details will guide drivers around the work zone via Broadway and Everett Ave.
Arlington Street: Arlington Street under Route 1 will be closed overnight (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) from Wednesday night, 2/19 to Saturday morning, 2/22. Signed detours and police details will guide drivers around the work zone via Spruce Street and Everett Ave.
- Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.-7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
Ongoing Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Bridge deck and gutter repairs, deck removal, and paint inspections will take place in the left lane over the Tobin Bridge. We will continue to remove bridge deck and install new bridge deck through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: Removal of existing bridge deck and installation of new bridge deck will continue through the Chelsea Curves.
- Underneath Route 1: Crews will install SafeSpan walkways, replace and paint steel; power wash and paint columns and support beams; excavate, drill, and grout around support columns; erect steel; place new concrete columns; and install ground anchors.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.
The contractors are coordinating with local event organizers and police to provide awareness and manage traffic during events. For your awareness, the following events are scheduled at TD Garden during this look-ahead period:
- Bruins: 2/12 at7:30 p.m., 2/15 at 1 p.m.
- Celtics: 2/13 at 8 p.m.
- Events: 2/10 at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., 2/14 at 7 p.m., 2/19 at 7 p.m., 2/20 – 2/22 at 11 a.m., 3 p.m., and 7 p.m.
For more information about the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project, visit the project website.