This is a brief overview of construction operations and traffic impacts for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work, temporary ramp and street closures, and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
Route 1 Lane Shifts
- Roadway configuration changes on Route 1 northbound and southbound travel lanes will take place overnight on Saturday, 11/23 and Sunday, 11/24, weather permitting.
- Beginning Monday, 11/25, the new workzones will begin in the left lanes on Route 1 northbound and southbound.
- Exact dates of lane shifts may adjust if needed.
- Overnight work will begin one hour after the completion of events at TD Garden.
- Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the workzones. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane and continues in the center lane. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m. – 10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m. – 5 a.m.).
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the left lane before the Carter Street off-ramp. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.).
- Fourth Street Off-ramp: The Fourth Street off-ramp will remain closed for approximately 1 more month. Northbound traffic headed to Chelsea must be in the right lane when crossing the bridge to access the Beacon Street off-ramp. After Beacon Street, the next opportunity to exit Route 1 Northbound will be at Webster Avenue.
- Upcoming Temporary Closures: On Saturday, November 16, Orange Street will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. On Saturday, November 23, Spruce Street will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Carter Street travel lanes passing under Route 1 continue to divert around the active workzone. Signs and police details will be used to guide travelers around the workzones.
- Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.–7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
- No work will occur on Thursday, November 28 in observance of the Thanksgiving Day holiday.
Summary of Work Completed
In the two weeks prior to October 20, crews continued work on the bridge deck, repaired and erected steel, waterproofed bridge deck, installed dust containment systems, power washed and excavated support column footings, and placed concrete columns.
Description of Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Bridge deck repairs will continue in the center lane over the Tobin Bridge until 11/23 when the workzone will move into the left lane. Bridge deck removal and installation of new bridge deck will take place through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: Painting of new deflector plates and steel repairs. Bridge deck removal and installation of new bridge deck will take place through the Chelsea Curves.
- Underneath Route 1: Replace and paint steel; continue installation of dust containment systems; power wash and paint columns and support beams; excavate, drill, and grout around support columns; erect steel; and place new concrete columns.
- Ramps and Local Streets: Safety and crash barrier improvements at the Fourth Street Ramp. Power washing, painting, and reinforcement of concrete support columns on Carter Street. Steel painting and repairs continue on the Beacon Street off-ramp.
For more information about the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project, visit the project website.