This is a brief overview of construction operations and traffic impacts for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work, temporary ramp and street closures, and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
Route 1 Traffic Impacts
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.).
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the left lane before the Carter Street off-ramp. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.).
Local Street Closures
- Carter Street: Carter Street under Route 1 will be closed on Saturday, 1/18 between 7 a.m.—7 p.m. and overnight between 7 p.m.–6 p.m. from Monday, 1/20 to Friday 1/24. Carter Street travel lanes will continue to divert around the active workzone under Route 1. Signs and police details will be used to guide travelers around the workzones.
- Spruce Street: Spruce Street under Route 1 will be closed on Saturday, 1/25 between 7 a.m.—7 p.m. to create a safe work zone for necessary bridge work. Signed detours and police details will guide drivers and pedestrians safely around the work zone via Arlington Street.
- Arlington Street On-Ramp: The Arlington Street on-ramp to Route 1 Southbound in Chelsea will be closed until Fall 2020 for necessary maintenance and rehabilitation. Drivers looking to take Route 1 Southbound in Chelsea may use the Carter Street on-ramp near Chelsea High School or the Everett Avenue on-ramp near Walnut Street.
- Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.–7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
Description of Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Continue bridge deck and gutter repairs in the left lane over the Tobin Bridge. Remove bridge deck and install of new bridge deck will take place through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: Remove existing bridge deck and install new bridge deck through the Chelsea Curves.
- Underneath Route 1: Replace and paint steel; power wash and paint columns and support beams; excavate, drill, and grout around support columns; erect steel; and place new concrete columns.
For more information about the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project, visit the project website.