I-90 West Bridge Replacement over Woodland Road in Southborough, June 18 – 21. I-90 West Traffic Shifted to I-90 East, Travel Reduced to Two Lanes in Each Direction. Woodland Road Closed to Through Travel, Detours in Place.
What is happening
MassDOT is replacing bridges on I-90 east and westbound over Flanders Road in Westborough and Parkerville Road, Cordaville Road, and Woodland Road in Southborough as part of this project. The replacement of the eight bridges (2 spans per local road) will take place over eight weekends between June 18 and August 16, 2021.
I-90 West bridge over Woodland Road replacement
MassDOT will replace the I-90 West bridge over Woodland Road in Southborough from 7:00 PM on Friday, June 18 to 5:00 AM on Monday, June 21. Westbound traffic will be shifted through a median crossover to the eastbound side of I-90. Travel will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and opposing traffic separated by a barrier.
Woodland Road will be closed under the bridge and through traffic detoured from approximately 4:00 PM on Friday to 5:00 AM on Monday.
There will be advance signage in place to alert drivers to the I-90 configuration change and Woodland Road detour.
Schedule (weather dependent)
Note: All times are subject to change based on weather or unforeseen events.
Friday Night, June 18 (beginning at 7:00 PM):
- I-90 westbound (WB) traffic will be shifted through the median crossover into two right lanes of what is usually I-90 eastbound (EB)
- I-90 EB traffic will be shifted to the right into two lanes
Monday Morning, June 21 (completed at 5:00 AM):
- I-90 WB traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 WB
- I-90 EB traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 EB
- Alternate timeframe (should weather cause impacts)
If there is inclement weather that impacts the schedule above, MassDOT will reschedule the replacement to the weekend of June 25 – 28.
How will this affect me?
If you travel on I-90:
- During the replacement, both directions of I-90 will be reduced from three to two lanes between Route 9 in Framingham (Exit 111) and I-495 (Exit 106) in Hopkinton, which will result in higher than normal congestion.
If you use Woodland Road:
- Woodland Road will be closed to through travel. Local access to homes and businesses will be maintained on either side of the bridge. The detour route map can be viewed on the website.
- Plan ahead: The reduction of I-90 from three to two lanes will result in higher than normal congestion, drivers should plan accordingly.
- Drivers traveling WB through the project should be prepared for the shift into the EB direction.
For more information about the project, please visit the website at www.mass.gov/Acceler8Bridges.